"Two are Better than One!" ~Ecclesiastes 4:9



Friday, April 23, 2010

My best friend

With all of the traveling Todd is doing lately, it really makes me wonder..."what if we lived in Georgia instead of Florida?" While Todd is out of town would I plan more lunch dates with my herds of friends in Atlanta? Would I hop in the car to spend the day at my sister's with my precious nieces and nephew, or plan a shopping trip with my mom? Would I take Breck for walks around Piedmont park to pass the time, or call up friends I have lost touch with since the move to meet up for drinks on a patio? Would I visit my brother at college, and take him out to eat? Truth be told, I'm sure I would do all of these things plus some!

In fact, if we lived in Atlanta, I think we would do many more things than we do in Florida. We would be able to invite my family over to dinner at our house. Or we could see our close friends that live here more often. I'm sure we would make it a point to go to things like the Dogwood Festival, and concerts at Chastain, or frequent Sweetwater brewery. Better yet, we would have great shopping including Nordstrom and Brooks Brothers within miles of our home. We could head up to Athens for football gamedays, or GDay (which I missed this year!), or Athfest, or dinner with our countless friends that live that way!

...I'm sure life would be very different. What would be most different is that I don't know I would truly understand and appreciate the best friend I have in Todd. Being that it is just Todd and I in Florida with no family, and a handful of friends we rely on each other. We have our time apart, and sometimes have to make it a point to. However, for the most part we aren't going our seperate ways for dinner, or fulfilling other obligations. We no longer get together for family birthdays or Sunday night dinners. We certainly have to rely on ourselves or the friendships we have in Florida should we need outside support. So, Todd and I have learned that our church family is amazing family! We have also learned that all friendships are to be treasured and taken care of. And most of all, we have found in each other our best friend!

It is so nice to know that after a long day, Todd is ready to help me cook dinner with an open bottle of wine and great conversation. Or when I need a lunch date to break up the day, or need someone to run some ideas through without picking up the phone...he's there. When there is something little to celebrate, Todd always knows mexican and margaritas do the trick! I love the walks we take after dinner, and our Saturday coffee and farmers market trips. Not to mention, it is so nice to have all the quiet "down" time at our home - just us - that we would have so little of if we lived somewhere else. Time to really feel like we are in sync, on the pulse of each other's needs, and just enjoying quality time.

Which is why I am so grateful for being in a new town with my new husband. Being a newlywed can be a crazy time, and our lives do get a little crazy sometimes! It is so nice to spend it with not only my husband, but my best friend! Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment